Glossary of camping terms

A Glossary of camping terms (lots more to add, please suggest any you think we need):

EHU: Stands for Electric Hook Up and is how many campers get electric power while on the campsite. You will need a long cable and adaptor to use it (and pay a nominal sum for the privelige)

Footprint: A sheet of waterproof material such as polythene or woven PE. Modern tents can be equipped with a matching footprint but they are easy enough to make for yourself

Groundsheet: A sheet of waterproof material such as woven PE or PVC that is on the ground under the tent and intended to keep out moisture

 Inner tent: Typically the part of the tent you sleep in, consisting of a waterproof groundsheet, breathable fabrics (sometimes muslin or mesh) with a door (usually zipped). The inner usually clips to the tent frame but can be suspended from the outer fabric. Most inner tents are specific to the model of tent, but standard sized generic inner tents can be bought

Kitchen Extension: Usually part of a Frametent, part of the normally sloping wall of the tent is constructed vertically to make a space where it is much easier to set up a camp kitchen unit. The extension often has a mesh window for ventilation but the Canvas can pick up a lot of grease stains if used carelessly

Mudskirt:  An easy to clean waterproof fabric, usually woven PE or PVC, that is at the bottom of the tent wall and in contact with the ground. It improves draughtproofing and weather resistance

PVC: A smooth plastic fabric, sometimes quite heavy weight (eg Cabanon use 540gm/m2) that makes an robust (and quiet) groundsheet, footprint or inner tent base. Used by the better tent manufacturers

Rain cap: A small plastic 'hat' that sits on top of (or the end of) a spike extending through the Canvas from a tent pole. They stop water running down inside the Canvas and are almost always 6mm inside diameter 

Rock peg: An extra strong tent peg that is used in hard ground where 'ordinary' tent pegs are liable to become bent or damaged. Despite the name you can't actually hammer them into rock. More info on pegs can be found here

Roof lining: Mostly used in Frametents these are a layer of fabric that clips into the ceiling of the tent. They effectively add insulation and help keep the tent warmer at night and cooler in the sun. They look nice too

Sand peg: A extra wide and often long tent peg that is used in soft ground (not just sand). Usually the section shape is a U or a V to improve grip. More info on pegs can be found here

SIG: Stands for Sewn In Groundsheet. The groundsheet of the tent is stiched to the other fabric of the tent completely sealing the tent. This improved weather proofing and keeps out the bugs (similar to a ZIG, which zips on)

Sun Canopy: A tent extension that is (usually) open on all sides. Often it is seperate from the rest of the tent and can be added / removed as required. On the continent it creates a space outside the tent to sit that is shaded from the sun, in the UK it is often more useful to keep the entrance to the tent less muddy

Tarp: A flat sheet of fabric material. Sometimes the generic name for groundsheet material. It is also the name for the fabric sheet that is used with poles / guy lines to create a dining tent or sheltered exterior space

Woven PE: A cheap, lightweight fabric usually used for footprints, groundsheets and the bases of inner tents. Not as robust as PVC. Generally used by the budget tent manufacturers (though even Cabanon use it for mudskirts sometimes)

ZIG: Stands for Zipped In Groundsheet. The groundsheet of the tent zips to the other fabric of the tent completely sealing the tent but still allowing the groundsheet to be removed should you wish to (unlike a SIG which is sewn on)